Hong Kong: boat, city views, trams and an amazing light show

img_20161212_143515I should have had two days in Hong Kong but the airline had changed my flight last minute, which meant that I only had one full day as I would have to leave for the airport in the morning.DCIM119GOPRO

I smoothly went through immigration and found the conveyor to collect my bag. However, as I was so tired, I had gone to the wrong bag collection point, which made me panic slightly. I took my bag from the correct convenor and headed to the city.img_20161212_130745

I knew I could either get a train or bus but in the end as it was so much cheaper I took the bus. The journey was about an hour but it took me over the waters and through the city with pleasant views. I hadn’t realised that Hong Kong was constructed of many island close together in the south of China. As I was driven into the centre, I just felt such a good vibe and knew I would love this city, which was extremely industrialised with skyscraper and cars speeding along the road.img_20161212_141926

When I found my stop, I disembarked and discovered my hostel was two minutes’ walk away. The hostel was in a skinny, dirty building. I took the elevator up, where I spoke to an unhelpful person on the phone. I could either wait to check in or wander the city and leave my luggage around the tiny room. I decided to do the latter.img_20161212_171431

I ambled down the street to Victoria Harbour, where there was a tourist information. I spoke to a lovely volunteer, who basically planned my whole day, telling me all the things I could do in the city. With a map in my hand, I strolled around the corner to the ferry port to buy a ticket to take a ferry across the harbour to the main Hong Kong city. The view was just spectacular, especially with the sun glistening in the background.

I ride took all of about 10 minutes, where I got off and then found the bus stop to take me to the tram station. I had to wait about 20 minutes with the view of the harbour and big wheel, where I bought an ice-cream as sweat was starting to drip from my head.img_20161212_130944

The bus rode along the main road to the bottom tram station, which would take me to the top of the peak. Bustling people stood to form a long queue to the counter. If I had been here more than one day I might have skipped the queue but I didn’t. The line wound around gates to purchase tickets, where you could buy single, return or combination tickets. I just bought a single as I was coming a different way down. From here people piled up to the tram, with information about the history of the tram and the peak. It didn’t take as long as I thought to get onto the tram, where later I found there were two and many people could fit on. Also, as a single traveller, I could wiggly myself through people without being noticed too much.img_20161212_143449

The tram was an old-looking, traditional and red, which speedily took the crowds nearly vertically up the side of the mountain. When I was travelling on the tram, I was standing so had to hold myself up so I wouldn’t fall into anyone.

img_20161212_165228At the top of the hill, I disembarked and went to the building opposite to The Peak Gallery. People are able to climb or take the lift to the top for free, which overlooks the whole city, blocked a tiny bit. Otherwise, you are able to go to the top of the Madam Tussauds building with a cost fee but a complete 360 degree view. The sight of the lake and skyscraper were magnificent.

I rested here before finding the bus stop to take the number 15 back to main central station. While waiting, I started chatting to some guys. They got on the same bus as me and we started talking, finding out they were a group of American pilots. img_20161212_201621Then from the station I walked to the Mid-level escalator, which is the longest escalator in the world on various level. It just felt like it was going on and on. I kept thinking ‘this is the last part’ then it carried on. The only disadvantage is that you then have to amble all the way back down to where I started. On the roads were vehicles, which were a mix of a train and a bus called Ding Ding trains, which look like thin buses but connected to wires like trams.

Next I got the subway to the Ladies flea markets, which is a long street with outside stall full off people selling clothes, souvenirs, watches, shoes. By this time, I was getting hungry and tired so I headed back to the hostel on the bus, where I ended up talking to a guy from Hong Kong.

img_20161212_201230At the hostel, I checked-in, chatting to a guy there, whose parents are Chinese but got brought up in England. I dumped my bag in my room then went in search of food. I had been recommended a street with a variety of restaurants but I didn’t fancy anything there. I was being indecisive but in the end I splurged out on pizza hut food.

In the evening, when it got dark, I wandered down to Victoria Harbour. There was a light show, where variety skyscrapers took park, shining lights from the building. img_20161212_203043It was spectacular with neon lights in Christmas shapes   reflecting on the water with music playing at the same time. The second part of the show was a light film reflected on the cultural centre about an elf that wanted to be a rock star. It was so cute and kids would have just loved it. It was fantastic.

On the way back to the hostel, I stopped off at the 1881 building with Christmas decorations and lights. As I was exhausted, I pretty much just went to bed as I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow.

img_20161212_203624The next day, I had a bit of a lie-in as it was only a travel day. Once I was sorted, I carried my backpack to the bus. I didn’t have to wait too long for the bus, which took me through the city to the airport.
After the normal airport procedure, I hopped on the plane to Kuala Lumpur, which was uneventful. Then I had a 3 hour layover at the airport before boarding the airplane to Sri Lanka. On the flight, I made myself stay awake because of the time difference. I was sitting next to an older couple; the husband from England and the wife from Sweden. They were lovely, telling me about their travels.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


Follow ___ Life as a travelling teacher on WordPress.com
%d bloggers like this: