East Coast Tasmania: Coles Bay, Wineglass Bay and Freycinet National Park

IMG_20160304_102149When I arrived in Tassie, I decided to hire a car to travel around as the was definitely the most convenient way. Local buses to cities further away came once ever two days.IMG_20160229_112758

In the morning, I prepared my lunch, sorted out some phone call and got some stamps before collecting the car. I was slight nervous as I hadn’t driven a car in over a year. Once I’d paid and got given the keys, I was the new owner of a little, automatic Suzuki. It was the same size as my old car, the only difference was that it was newer and automatic. I had only driven an automatic in Japan, not that it was a problem. However, every so often I went to change the gear or press my foot down on the clutch and it wasn’t there. IMG_20160229_152535

I knew I had a decent drive ahead of me but I planned to stop regular to look around and take a break. My first stop was Rosny Hill, which was just over the bridge from Hobart, giving a stunning view of Hobart and Mount Wellington.

Then I kept on driving through windy, country lanes, passing Sorell town to Spring Beach in Orford. I was going to stop on the beach for lunch but it started to rain so I sat in my car at the next beach. I carried on through Swansea, where again I was going to stop but it was like a hamlet. It was so quiet with not much there. Not what I was expecting. I drove to the town north of the turn off to see if there was anything to see. I looked around some beach before making my way through Bicheno to Douglas Apsley National Park. Unfortunately the land turned narrow on gravelly ground and I wasn’t risking damaging the car so I turned around.

The last leg of the journey was to Coles Bay, where my hostel was. The road was pleasant with hardly any drivers and it led to a stunning view of the red rock mountains. It looked beautiful.

I checked in and made my bed then sat in the common room to chill, where I started chatting to an older couple. Then I walked around Coles bay, finding the look out and beach before getting some chips for dinner. I was pretty tired so read and had an early night ready for the next day.

I had planned the next day to start my hike early but it didn’t quite happen that way. I got woken up early by an alarm from other traveller at 6.30am and them rummaging around until 8am when they departed. I then got ready for the day ahead with preparing meals and my bag for the day. Trying to find out how to unlock my boot of the car took some time before I set off.IMG_20160301_110907

I drove the 5km to the walks car park to find out that they only way to pay for the national park using car was to return to the visitors centre a few miles up. When I had purchased a ticket and parked the car, I started my walk.

The first part of the journey to the Wineglass Bay look out was slightly uphill on a gravelly path with amazing views of Coles Bay. There were a few steps to the top, which was filled with people. The sight was incredible of the Wineglass bay with the turquoise water shimmering. In the distant overlooked a small part of Hazards beach and Mt Graham. IMG_20160301_120036

After a bit of a rest and some photograph taking, I carried on walking down rocky paths to the Wineglass bay with golden sands and choppy sea. By this time, it had started to drizzle but this didn’t stop some people from swimming in the waters. I dipped my feet in the chilled water and chatted to some fellow hikers.

Then I travelled along the Isthmus track, where the path was flat and soft so I decided to walk bare foot. The surroundings were mostly greenery, trees and a lagoon. All around me I could hear mosquitoes buzzing around me trying to bite me at every opportunity.

I walking along part of the Hazards beach, again scraping the waters surface with my feet. By the rock near the end I had a delightful surprise of a wallaby eating some leaves. I managed to take several pictures with literally made my day. I perched on the rocks for a while to eat a spot of lunch before heading off again. IMG_20160301_125327

The last leg of the journey was slight up and down through rocks but with section of the walk overlooking the cliffs edge back to the car park.

As I still had part of the afternoon left, I drove to sleepy bay, which was then about a 10 minute walk to get to. For a while, it was abandoned so I peaceful watched and listened to the sea. Then I drove up to Cape Tourville with a light house, looking over the sea and mountain.

On the way back to the hostel, I stopped of in Honeymoon bay, where there were people snorkling, paddle boarding and swimming. There was also a bunch of people that looked like they had come from a wedding party, taking photos and playing instruments. It was just so nice sitting there. IMG_20160301_160123

Once I got back to the hostel, I chatted to an older English guy who liked to cycle around countries. He was an interesting guy, listening to all his travels.

Just before dinners, I went for a walk along Muirs beach while the sun was setting. The sky was a houris us blue. I ate dinner then chilled before going to bed. I soon discovered that I had the whole room to myself.IMG_20160302_094224

The following day, I drove from my hostel in Coles bay to Koonya in Tasman Pensiula with multiple stops.

First I went to Friendly beach on the East Coast of Freyicinet National Park, which had the whitest sands I have ever seen and beautiful view of the mountains and ocean. As I was driving to the main road, a mother and baby wallaby stood at the side of the road to cross so I stopped the car and let them pass in front of me. It was just a unexpected, magical experience.IMG_20160302_091520

From here I drove to Swansea to grab some groceries for the next couple of days. Then I carried on to Triabnna harbour, stopping on the way at different picturesque beaches, spiky bridge and on the side of the road to take some photos of the amazing scenery.

I rested for a bit before continuing my journey. The next part was horrendous as the road I was navigated on was a hilly, pot-holed, grave path that went on the miles. I was so worried about my car. Afterwards, I saw a sign from the other direction to not go through because of the condition of the road after some flooding. However, there was not a sign when I entered the road.

Once my heart attack was over, I drove to Eaglehawk Neck: a new area of Tasmania to explore.

My experience of the easy coast so far has been quiet place with incredible landscapes and country lanes.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s


Follow ___ Life as a travelling teacher on WordPress.com
%d bloggers like this: